Friday, May 6, 2011

Leggings are NOT PANTS

(It's springtime and I'm feeling very frivolous.Time for a little ranting about things of little significance!)

It irks me when people wear leggings or tights as a substitute for pants. Like it irks me a lot. I mentioned this offhand to my buddy Sid Madhubalan and he seemed, I think, rather disappointed by my disdainful and admittedly over-the-top ranting. I am usually pretty accepting; I believe in each person's autonomy to dress and live however they wish, but there is something fundementally indecent to me about strutting around in leggings like it is totally normal and modest. It's not even that I find the skin-tightness of them indecent, it is more that they are parading around as pants when they were so clearly intended to be worn as an under layer. It's like wearing spandex or boxers and claiming that they are perfectly legitimate shorts. Not okay!

I am not the first to express outrage at this obnoxious trend, nor shall I be the last. In fact there is an entire website dedicate to photographs of unknowing legging-wearers on the U of I campus, as well as a hilarious and typographically appeal anti-leggings manifesto that a friend pointed me to. But I know there are plenty of people out there who love leggings very dearly and consider them a staple in their wardrobe. I can think of several good friends of mine who wear them on a regular basis and it has never been a cause for strife. What can I say; agree to disagree?

I know what people say--leggings are so comfortable! Leggings are inexpensive! Leggings are flattering and go with any top! I disagree. As for comfort, wearing actually sweatpants is far more comfortable and significantly warmer and cozier. I'd argue that there are more durable leggings which are intended to be worn solo and leggings which were intended to be worn underneath something else that are made of thinner material and are cheaper. So yes, leggings can be quite inexpensive, but when you think about what you are actually paying for, material wise, it is pretty underwhelming. Really if you are going to commit this faux pas you might as well shell out from a good quality pair that fits well and is warm.

I feel it is time to dispel a myth: leggings are not universally flattering. They show everything--imagine your lower half being dipped in opaque paint--and if you have a perfect body then fine, great, but if you have even the slightest imperfection then it immediately becomes obvious to everyone you walk past. They are such an unforgiving fashion, leaving next to nothing to the imagination. I can't imagine not feeling horribly self-conscious walking around with everything so visible. I should make very clear, I don't hate leggings because they are leggings; I hate them because people wear them like pants, which is simply wrong. Leggings can be quite attractive if they are worn under a dress or even, yes, a sufficiently long shirt. In short, I don't want to see your butt.

Yes, I am staunchly anti-legging, but they don't actively both me that much. I mean, I don't explode in paroxysm of rage every time I see this particular abomination (being on the U of I campus would be hell if I did). But I am often tempted to make a snide remark or roll my eyes, or worse shout out "get some pants!" I suppose every decade must have its regrettable fashion, so hopefully this look will fade into that past and become an outdated relic of the 2000's. In parting, keep it classy!

7 comments:

  1. Though for the most part I agree, I do think that leggings have a place in the "pants" family, however small. It also depends on whose wearing the leggings as pants. Some people are able to pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're weird. That's all I can really say. I'm certainly not getting or wearing any anytime soon. Jeans for me, please. Or cargo shorts, at least those have usable pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though leggings have a place in society, they cannot be substituted for jeans or pants as you pointed out. I think that one of the only acceptable way of wearing leggings is under dresses/tops that are long, but not long enough to wear by themselves. Also, the websites that you linked to are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sympathize with your frustration here. I actually think leggings are fine - as long as you wear a tunic, dress, or skirt over them! You have to wear something that comes down to at least the bottom of your butt. I think that's only reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote a comment on this, but it disappeared! (Blogger's been having some issues, as I've heard from a number of my students). Ah, well. Suffice to say that I share your dislike of leggings when worn as pants. I don't generally like to tell other people how to dress, but I will say for the record that I think leggings are fine when worn with a long shirt or tunic, or a dress of just about any length.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. MY. GOSH.

    Thank you for pointing this out. Wearings leggings, a north face jacket, Ugg boots, and a headband has become the universal outfit for U of I students lately. What's the deal? North face used to be what all the nerdy "out-doorsy" kids wore (that's what my parents always bought me) and then it blows up as city-wear for rich kids and preps. what?

    Anyway, I don't think I would mind the leggings=pants scenario if it weren't so common across America right now. I honestly can't differentiate people anymore. Everyone (girls and boys) have been looking the SAME. So boring...

    GREAT POST

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is quite an interesting post but I am a huge fan of work out leggings and tights. I love wearing leggings as pants with my casual tops. They make perfect pair with my casuals and I feel so comfortable in them. Anyway, thanks for this great share!

    ReplyDelete