Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Confession of Messiness

Let me describe to you the unfortunate mess that is piled across my desk at this moment. On the far left is a shoebox of three dollar cosmetics and hairclips. Beside that, a clutter of half-full of water glasses and crusty-bottomed tea and coffee mugs. Two pencil cups crammed full of paintbrushes, pens, and colored pencils. There is also a rusty fork in there which sort of baffles me. Underneath that are scraps of paper with to-do lists and doodles and crumpled homework assignments, blank notecards, jewelry, my wallet, headphones, borrowed CDs, a book of Phillip Levine poems, and a thin layer of dust. I can’t remember the last time my desk was even remotely tidy, despite my valiant attempts to keep everything in order.

The rest of my room is in similar disarray. It has been like this for years, much to my mother’s chagrin. A couple years ago, when my brother left for college, I took over his room, which is signifigantly larger than my old one. But somehow my mess is always also proportionately slightly too large for the space I’ve been allotted. It’s not like I have a particularly large volume of possesions—my childhood obsession with collecting endless tchotchkes disappeared years ago and now I try to buy as little junk as possible (though I confess it is still sort of a struggle). It is just that everything seems to pile up and overflow; even things I haven’t used in months seem to surface on my bedroom floor and get in the way.

This has caused a certain amount of tension in my family. I remember getting in trouble for leaving messes around the house more than anything else when I was younger. There was a period when I was very young when I’d leave balled up socks around the house. I remember fighting with my parents almost daily about it, but for some reason refusing to change my habits. Later on I graduated to leaving half empty cans of flat fizzy water in my room, which frustrated my parents even more. I have no if I was simply unable to change or if a seven-year-old me was playing passive aggressive games. Despite being the world’s sullenest child, I have to suspect the former. Either way, at this point it is a steadfast habit; it is my way of life.

And it isn’t just the way I keep my room or locker. My everything is messy, my brain is messy—and I like it that way. My notebooks are always full of doodles and nonsensical scribbles. I keep my hair and clothes and social life in what I hope is a cheerful disarray. I don’t mind being a slob. I think other people who are forced to cohabit or share spaces with me mind a lot more than I ever will. I’d like to think that messy=free spirited, but I’m more and more convinced that messy just equals messy. But this also means that being messy doesn’t make me lazy or impolite or boorish, which is all I really want to convince people of. I guess it is just a bad habit.

13 comments:

  1. This is a really great post! I can totally imagine what your room looks like from all of your imagery. Messy sometimes just equals messy, but I like your view much better, that it indicates a free spirit and a vibrant personality. :D Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro, our desks should get together and have a party. We won't need food because I have half a bag of croutons all ready to go next to the computer monitor! I used to do the balled up socks thing, as well, but more often it would be scraps of paper left over from when I attempted to set up a library in my house -- it was a long phase.

    I like this post because it is very well written and descriptive, but also because it offers an alternative explanation as to why I am this way. Free spirited is much better than lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what you need is a space that you can keep messy and a place you should keep clean. For example: your room is your room and can be as messy as you want it. The place you study the most should be clean and organized. The same goes for the place you eat. Maybe you could buy an extra notebook exclusively for your doodles. I did that once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. say yes to the mess! I can totally relate, and I am convinced that the mugs on my bedside table are multiplying like bunnies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this post fascinating. I seem to have dodged a bullet. I have never been "in trouble" for a mess. My parents seem to understand it is an accident, and they ask me to clean my room, but never really "require" it.

    Messiness seems to work for many people. You have everything you use on a regular basis, out where you can see it. I applaud you candor, and it seems to suggest that I am not alone in my belief.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is hilarious!
    I'm the most OCD disorganized person.
    I have a love-hate relationship with keeping my things in order. It was fun reading this post because it's what my room always ends up looking like... before I decide to spend hours listening to Beach House and reorganizing the chaotic den that I call my room.

    Because of this delightful post, I will postpone my Beach House cleaning for another several weeks... THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post. I'm such a messy person, always have been, and I remember being little and throwing similar fits about having to clean up my room. It's when it gets clean that I lose stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find that in regards to messes I go through stages. Stage one, I need to find something so I throw things on my floor; stage two, I never clean them up and more and more things get added to the ever growing pile; stage three, my parents suggest I clean my room but I don't usually; stage four, I start cleaning everything but only get about three-quarters of the way through the mess; repeat stages 2-4.
    I guess the point is that I think this is something we all struggle with (as seems to be apparent from the above comments), but I thought you phrased it in a very elegant way. Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heyyy, my desk is just like that! Every few months or so, my mother forces me to clean but it soon degenerates into the usual state of clutter. The one issue that I have a problem with is stickiness. I can't stand that. If I even touch something mildly sticky, I have to immediately go wash my hands. It's gross. Anyway, nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I relate. This totally describes my room when I was in high school. And though I actually keep my bedroom relatively neat nowadays, my desk at home is a horror and the office where my desk resides is the room in our house that's just always a huge mess. It's the overflow room where everything we don't know what to put goes. Unfortunately, that's also our guest room, so anytime we're having out-of-town guests, it's a nightmarish race to clean the office as much as we're able, and find hiding places for all the crap we don't have time to clean.

    I've gotten neater since I was 16, but I'm still not neat. I'm messy. On evenings when I cook, the kitchen looks like a tornado hit it. Matt somehow manages to clean up while he's cooking (I have no idea how that's even possible.) I sort of wish I could just embrace being messy, but I can't. Maybe I'm a neat person trapped in the body of a messy person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I seem to struggle when it comes to collecting and hoarding. For example, I have still have several too-small-second-grade shirts that I am reluctant to throw away. I also tend to buy a lot of crap simply because it is on sale. I probably should work on this habit.

    Surprisingly, my room is rather organized, my shoes neatly put away at the bottom of my closet and the last pieces of evidence from a lazy night in swept away.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many experiences like this with my parents, I really enjoy picturing the sullunest seven year old. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good post.

    I hate messes, but inadvertently cause them. I cook, and leave things in the sink, since the dishwasher is all clean. Several minutes later I get a stern talk about cleaning up.

    ReplyDelete